Followers

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Being Silly with Greg and Steve


I was in a music classroom the other day "pitch hitting" (code for substituting) for a teacher. She left explicit instructions on what music to play, which kids to watch, and pretty much how to clone her methods in her absence. Well, ya'll know me. As soon as she was out the door (she came right back to see what we were doing and to thank me for coming) we got right to work. Work, its a music class! Yeah boy we had so much fun singing and playing silly games. Yes, I can be silly too! One of the songs she left was "Muffin Man" by Greg and Steve. Its days later and I can't get that song out of my head. Ugh! Pre-school parents know what I'm talking about. It was on. We went marching around that room making silly faces, strutting to the rhythm, jumping and hopping. It was so much fun. Then we got quiet by listening to BB King. That reminded me of wonderful story of meeting Mr. King and I had to share it with the class. Storytelling is a great way to get a class back under control. They were hanging on every word as I teased them about when and how I met him. I described the room, the tour bus, his body guards, my friend's beautiful silver-gray hair. I had them in the palm of my hands. We had a great afternoon and I repeated the exact same thing for each class I saw that afternoon. Guess I must have lost some much needed weight that afternoon.

No comments: